Friday, November 5, 2010

Onward: Sixty-Three through Sixty-Six

"Therefore, we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4: 16-18


I have noticed that several people have started to do "30 days of Thanksgiving" throughout the month of November on Facebook. I hope that they find it to be as uplifting and encouraging as I have found counting my blessings and perhaps they will even find it so addictive they won't quit when December 1st rolls around.
I wish you all the best and pray this is a month of great thanksgiving for you all!


Wednesday, November 3rd

63) Nothing new- "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun." Ecclesiastes 1:9 

So today hasn't been a stellar day for me as Mom and thanks to that it has been a rough day for our daughter. I realized this morning that for the past week or so I have been feeding her oatmeal that includes milk in the ingredients. That may seem like an easy oversight except for the fact that "cream" is actually in the flavor title. You'd think that would have been a pretty good clue that some kind of dairy was included, and seeing that our daughter cannot currently tolerate dairy, she has slowly been feeling worse and worse- culminating today. This morning she finally boycotted the oatmeal because it was bothering her stomach so much and after trying to no avail to make her eat the cereal, I finally realized what I was doing. Whoops.

As I thought about our continuing struggles with our daughter's food sensitivities- which just seem to be growing, the verse from Ecclesiastes (above) came to mind and I found myself greatly comforted. Nothing I experience is new. Whether I am dealing with my child's food allergies, the plights of an army officer's wife, a wife in general, a woman, or even just the struggles, illnesses and stresses we face as human beings, nothing is new, and therefore I am not alone. Someone here on earth understands. Most likely someone here in the town I live, near to me, understands. It may mean opening up and allowing myself to be vulnerable, but I do not have to deal with these trials alone. Nothing is new.

64) New takes on old lessons- When you have grown up in the church, there are certain lessons you have heard over and over again, and it can seem as though you know them by heart. It can even be easy to fall into the trap to believe there is nothing new to learn on the topic. I have to admit that I have fallen into that trap, but I promised myself that I would be open minded and see if maybe someone had something new to offer on the topic. I am glad I opened my mind, and with it, I learned a little bit of humility too. Both are good lessons. Hopefully both with stay with me as well.


Thursday, November 4th

65) Our daughter loves meats, fruits and vegetables- In general, this seems to be a very big blessing, as you see so many parents struggle to encourage or entice their children to eat one or more of the above items. With our daughter, it is even more of a blessing as these items are such a staple in her diet. Since we have had to eliminate anything with dairy, soy or tomato as an ingredient, I have found that there really are very few packaged products left for her to eat, especially packaged products that are more conducive for a toddler. I am not saying that there is nothing out there, but we have had to eliminate several additional items from our daughter's diet in the past week. I am so thankful that she enjoys the basics and it isn't a struggle to get her to eat meats, fruits and vegetables. I can give her a plate of ham, cooked broccoli and peaches, and she is perfectly happy. That is a true blessing.

66) True spirit is recognized- In the past six to eight years, I have had a few people tell me that when they first met me, they thought I was a snob or stuck up, and it was only after getting to know me better that they realized I was really quite friendly and down to earth. Of course it was quite shocking and disconcerting to hear that I came off in such a manner initially. I know it is tied to a bit of shyness that is only present with strangers or when I am in larger groups. Still, I would never want people to feel that way when they are around me, but I am comforted by the fact that, with time and given the chance, eventually people will see and recognize my true personality and spirit. Even more so, I take great joy and am thankful to know that, even if people do not take the time or give me the chance, God does not judge me on my actions alone. For "The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7b

No comments:

Post a Comment