Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Relationships: Fifty-One to Sixty-Two

"For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory." Romans 8:14-17


Thursday, October 28th

51) No expectation that I'll be the 1950's stay-at-home wife- Generally speaking, I like to keep an orderly, fairly clean home. I enjoy the opportunities to try out new recipes for dinner and do not mind the laundry or errand running, but the reality is that most days when Drew walks through the door he is not greeted by a pristine wife with dinner half prepared and a picked up house. No, more than likely dinner may have been thought about but not begun, and there is probably at least one mess of toys somewhere in the house (and it may be directly in front of his feet as he steps through the doors). This fact never phases Drew nor does it cause him to question my activities during the day. Thank you. Thank you!

52) Toys picked up- Picking up after our daughter really does not take a long time. Even if the mess looks huge, it can usually be all cleared away within minutes. Of course, after picking up the same general toys and returning them to the same spots once or twice a day, every day for a couple of months, I appreciate a little break, so when I saw Drew picking up our daughter's toys tonight after we laid her down to sleep for the night, it meant so much to me. He chose to do it all on his own and I know it was not because it bothered him but because he knew it was something I would do before the night was over.


Friday, October 29th

53) Family "Date" night- This is a tradition Drew and I started back in Florida. Our daughter was quite young, we didn't know many people in town, but we wanted to be able to go out on a date. Instead of always ordering in or giving up, we modified our plans a little and made our date night a family date night and I love it. Don't get me wrong, I still love going on dates just with Drew, but I also love the special times we set aside as a family. Right now we may go out for dinner, but in the future, it will likely turn into family night- playing board games, bowling, mini putt, baking cookies, or whatever we choose. I cannot wait.

54) A freshly made bed- There is something so relaxing about slipping into a bed with freshly washed linens. I am not sure I cannot explain it nor could I tell you how my body knows the difference between newly washed linens and day-old linens, but for whatever reason, I delight in the newness and crispness of a freshly made bed.


Saturday, October 30th

55) Hand Me Downs- I think every parent of a current or past child understands the appreciation for hand me downs. Especially when they are so little and seem to only wear items a few times before they grow out of them or the weather changes, it is nice to have alternative methods to help supplement your child's wardrobe besides going out and buying a whole new one yourself. We were blessed with just the items we most needed at just the right time.

56) Afternoons Out- While we, particularly our daughter and myself, may go out often- usually it is just the two of us and more than likely we are running some kind of errand with maybe just a trip to the library or park thrown in, so an afternoon trip to another family's house is quite a wonderful way to spend the day. I loved the opportunity we had to visit and relax with others while still spending some time as a family. It was enjoyable to see our daughter play with other children and experience new things. A great afternoon!


Sunday, October 31st

57) Watching as new believers proclaim their faith and are baptized- Whether I grew up with the person, met them just a few weeks ago or am only visiting the church for the first time, I love celebrating with a church as someone proclaims Christ as their savior and is baptized. There is no time more significant or monumental in a person's life, nor is there a time for greater joy and celebration.


Monday, November 1st

Daughter-Daddy Relationships

58) Drew with our daughter- As we prepared for the birth of our first child, my biggest concern was making certain that Drew had as many opportunities to spend with that child as possible. We knew he would be very busy with his military trainings, etc. and would have very limited time at home, but I was determined that we would do whatever to ensure our child knew her father. To see her with her Daddy now, I am so thankful; she is a Daddy's girl. There is no doubt about that. She cries when he says goodbye in the morning and heads out for work for the day. Although that may seem unnecessary, I am glad she has that kind of bond with Drew and I am so grateful for every bedtime story they can read together, for every dinner prayer they say together, and every laugh they have shared. It's precious and dear to me.

59) My Dad and I- I have never considered myself a Daddy's girl but my Dad has been there for me at some of the biggest and hardest times in my life. He has helped me make some of the hardest decisions and has given me the strength, courage, and support to pursue the path that has led me to where I am today. Over the years, my Dad has laid a foundation of faith which has become the bedrock for all else he has taught me. From there, he has been there to guide me, to speak on my behalf, and encourage me. He understood the debate the raged within me the months before I graduated college and helped to clear the haze. He knew what held me back from making the final choice and gave me permission to make the choice I needed to make, and because of that decision, I am happily married with a beautiful little girl.This is just one way in recent years that he has helped me and supported me and yet it had an incredible impact on my life. I know that this could not have been an easy decision for my Dad who truly loves to have all his family near to him and I am grateful that he allowed me the wings to fly and pointed me toward the faith which supports me in all my endeavors.

60) My Heavenly Father- Isn't it incredible that we, who once lived lives so contrary to the will and desire of the Lord Almighty, become His child, co-heirs with Christ, once we are saved? What an amazing turn of events! I still find it absolutely incredible and awesome that I can call the creator of this universe, the omnipotent, all-powerful, King of Kings and Lord of Lords my Father.


Tuesday, November 2nd

61) My Mother- I cannot write about my Dad without giving some time to my Mom because I am so thankful for both of them. I am not the woman I am today without the influence of both my Dad and my Mom. As with most children, I have not appreciated my Mom nearly as much as I should have and have only in recent years come to value her for all her amazing qualities. She has a strength and conviction which I hope to possess in time and her faith is unshakable. I can only pray that when my daughter is older, she can see the same in me and say likewise. I am so grateful for all the ways my Mom has supported and encouraged me through the tough times. She has listened and tried her best to help me as I have tried to get my feet under me as a new wife, mother and Army wife. This has not always been an easy job for her as I do not always process or handle things in the same manner as she does, but she has been patient with me and has always been there for me. I love her dearly!

62) Democracy- We all have our opinions about our government, but isn't that the great thing about our government? You have the right and freedom to your opinion.  Today we are reminded, more than ever, about that right when we are given the right to voice our opinion through the ability to vote for elected officials. Of course many people will say that the process is flawed and I am not saying that it is perfect. I am not trying to start a debate. I am thankful that we live in a country where we have the kind of freedoms and rights that grant us the ability to voice our opinion, to get involved if we so choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment