Saturday, June 11, 2011

Clouds of Comfort: Three Thirty-One thru Three Thirty-Nine

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30


Sunday, June 5th

331) Working joints- So I'm not really that old, but I do deal with pain and stiffness in some of my joints- particularly my ankles and hip. For about the past five years, I have been able to count on the fact that as the weather got colder, my hip joints would start to complain- leaving me with a slight limp and troubled nights through most of the winter. I've learned how to cope, what I can do to lessen the pain and how to handle the days when nothing helps. Lately though, the pain and stiffness has started to occur even in the warm months. It may well be due to the fact that I carry a twenty-five pound child fairly regularly which is extra weight that is not evenly distributed, but no matter the cause, it's a new and unfavorable change. Still despite these changes, I am blessed that my joints are still working and do not continually give me troubles. I may have my days, but there are so many people who are troubled by sore and stiff joints daily, possibly even every moment of the day. I might have my aches and pains, but it only reminds me of the preponderance of days I am blessed with working, pain-free joints.


Monday, June 6th

332) Video game hobby- My husband enjoys playing video games and can quite easily sit and play them for several hours on a weekend night. I must admit that during the first year of our marriage, this fact didn't always sit well with me. I wanted the weekends to be a time for the two of us and couldn't understand why he would rather play a game on the computer than spend time with me. With time though I have come to realize that the video games never come before his family and they are a wonderful source of relaxation for him. There are so many other activities and things he could be doing, which could be dangerous for him or damaging to our relationship, that I suddenly see that in their own way, video games are a blessing.


Tuesday, June 7th

333) Vegan diet- We are not vegans- not even remotely. My husband loves his meat and we both enjoy a wide variety of dairy products. However as I have been on the hunt for dairy-free, soy-free cake and frosting recipes for our daughter's upcoming birthday, I have found that many of the recipes that may work are vegan. Last week I tried out a vegan buttercream which was so good that this week I used it again but added cocoa. It is delicious and no one would know it was not traditional buttercream (except real gourmands). Our daughter is looking forward to her birthday cake and if it weren't for the vegan diet and vegan recipes, I might not be able to make it for her.


Wednesday, June 8th

334) Sunglasses- I haven't worn sunglasses for nearly a year, so when I finally was able to wear them again, I certainly noticed the difference. With sunglasses, I can better enjoy the outdoors and do not walk away with a headache. Sunglasses have also protected Drew's eyes which have always been quite sensitive to the sun and now protect our daughter's as well. My whole family is blessed to own and use sunglasses and I am truly thankful for them.


Thursday, June 9th

335) Comforted - All week long, the city of Albuquerque has been shrouded in a layer of smoke and ash that has been carried east on winds coming from the Arizona wildfire. While it is noticeable all day, the smoke really settles in as dusk approaches and it is almost an eerie thing to experience. The sky is an orangeish-gray hue. The sun turns orange and then is blotted out.  The mountains just a few miles to our east disappear completely under a blanket of smoke, and on the street you can see swirls of ash and smell something burning. The whole thing has me thankful for the comfort of the indoors and has left me wandering what it must be like in Arizona near the fires. I cannot imagine how terrifying it could be if you add heat and visible flames licking at the skyline. Could this be a small glimpse of what hell might be like? Only hell will be infinitely worse with more terrible consequences. For at least here, we know that God is with us if we will but turn to Him. An eternity in hell does not offer the same comfort. I am thankful for that comfort now, the comfort I have when I think of eternity and the opportunity to spend it forever in His presence.

336) Clean air- Of course I realize that this phrase is relative; we all have a certain standard for what we consider "clean air." However after experiencing sand storms and now clouds of ash that settle around us, I appreciate air that doesn't send grit into my eyes and mouth or leave residue all over myself and everything else outside. What a blessing to be able to see blue skies, fluffy white clouds and all the beauty that surrounds us... thanks to clean air.


Friday, June 10th

337) Polite drivers- In the past few years, I have felt as though each new place we have lived has introduced us to a new group of crazy drivers, but nothing in the past compares to what Drew and I have witnessed and experienced since coming to Albuquerque. I have seen absolutely flagrant disregard for the rules of the road and disrespect for other drivers with whom we all share the road. Not only is there disregard and disrespect, but these drivers endanger the lives and property of everyone around them through the reckless and dangerous actions they are taking. We all occasionally miss something when we drive, but due to the frequency, we have been led to believe there is more at work than just an occasional absent-mindedness on the part of at least some of these drivers. Don't get me wrong: not all drivers in Albuquerque are like this, but this city does have more than its fair share. Not a trip goes by when I do not thank God for our safe return to our house and the kindness and consideration of the polite drivers with whom I do share the road. When you really consider the kind of harm that can come from impolite and disrespectful drivers, you quickly realize what a blessing polite drivers are.

338) A good hairdresser- One thing I never really considered when we first began life in the military would be the need to frequently find a new hairdresser. Every time we move, I let my hair grow out for a while because I fear going to someone who is inexperienced or unfamiliar with extremely thick hair; the outcome can be yucky. Today however, I found a wonderful hairdresser. She seems to really understand how to work with my hair and I came out with just the hairstyle I wanted and nothing to complain about. On top of that, her prices are reasonable. For me, that is truly a blessing.


Saturday, June 11th

339) Longer naps- For a couple of months now, our daughter's sleeping routine has been less than desirable. She was up before 6:15am each morning and took only an hour and a half (tops) nap each day. None of our attempts to lengthen her sleep at night or during the day seemed to help.  She showed the signs of a tired baby every day which was wearing and frustrating. For the past week, our little girl has still been awaking early, but has begun to take three to three and half hour naps. What a difference this has made! We have a happier child, a happier mother and a happier home in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment