Saturday, June 4, 2011

Learning to Wait: Three Twenty-Five thru Three Thirty

"I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord." Psalm 40:1-3


Monday, May 30th

325) Remembering- I am thankful for the freedoms, liberties and opportunities we have in the USA, knowing they could be taken from us under other governing bodies, and therefore I am so blessed when I remember those freedoms, liberties and opportunities were not free but have come at a cost. Our country has been blessed by multitudes of brave men and women who sacrifice so much, even giving their very life, so we can live the lives we do today.


Tuesday, May 31st

326) Getting elbowed in the head- Perhaps this sounds slightly off, but please, stick with me. In the first month of our marriage, we had lots of adjusting to do- as any newlywed couple will have. For some reason, personal space seemed to be a big one for us. Drew didn't seem to realize when he was in mine (or vice versa) and often ended up elbowing me in the head. I know for certain a week didn't go by when I wasn't elbowed at least once, and often more. However with just a little time, we both adjusted and the elbowing quit. Today another such elbowing accident occurred and it took me back to that first month. What a lovely reminder of those first days and a tangible sign showing me how far we have come blending our two lives into one.


Wednesday, June 1st

327) Not even 1200 square feet- The house we currently live in has less than 1200 square feet total. Although this is a good 400 square feet less than the house we last lived in, there is still enough space for all of our furniture and other household goods. However there is not much extra space for anything more. I am thankful for this. Sure a little extra space would be nice, but all it would mean was a reason and ability to get and accumulate more stuff. We are not in want; our true needs are few. Our limited square footage reminds me of this and curbs some of my own materialistic tendencies that are so prevalent within our culture.


Thursday, June 2nd

328) Buying in bulk- We don't really have much extra storage room to buy in bulk. However back shortly after our daughter was born, we did get a membership at Sam's Club as we wanted to buy her diapers and wipes in bulk, plus we knew on some occasions, we would also need to buy meats, etc. in bulk. I have always been thankful for the money we have saved by purchasing diapers in bulk and now as prices in the supermarkets go up, I am reminded of that blessing once more- not only for diapers but for some of those other necessary but expensive grocery items.


Friday, June 3rd

329) A clean house for the weekend- When I was growing up, my mother always had us clean the house on Thursday night. As I grew a little older she explained to me that she did this so she could relax knowing the house was clean for the weekend. When I moved into my own place, without even thinking about it I have carried on this tradition- cleaning Thursday and Friday morning. I love it! There is nothing nicer than being able to relax and enjoy my time with both Drew and our daughter without that nagging voice in my head pointing out everything dirty and dusty.


Saturday, June 4th

330) Waiting on the Lord- Lately I seem to pay closer attention to things that discuss blessings because this journey of mine has not only made me more aware of my blessings but also more eager to see and learn what others have to say about blessings. There is a song that has been playing on the radio "Blessings" by Laura Story, and I have really wanted a better understanding. I never really caught the verses and the chorus has had me pondering. Today our radio station played a little clip where Laura explained what led her to write the song, and she ended it by saying that she had learned that sometimes the greatest blessing we can get is to wait upon the Lord. Wow! How very true! We all have numerous prayer requests, wishes and concerns that we take to God and sometimes the waiting can seem unbearable. However if we truly pray for the Lord's will, leave all our requests in His hands, trusting and waiting in faith- not only will God's direction and answer (whether positive or negative) be what is best for us, but I have found that my faith and trust in God deepens and thereby my love and hope. So through the waiting our relationship with God can be strengthened and that is an incredible blessing!

We pray for blessings
We pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love is way too much to give us lesser things

‘Cause what if your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You’re near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

We pray for wisdom
Your voice to hear
We cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt your goodness, we doubt your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough
All the while, You hear each desperate plea
And long that we’d have faith to believe

‘Cause what if your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You’re near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

When friends betray us
When darkness seems to win
We know that pain reminds this heart
That this is not our home

What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
What if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are your mercies in disguise


"Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion.
For the Lord is a God of justice.
Blessed are all who wait for him!"
Isaiah 30:18

2 comments:

  1. Danielle, I just heard that song Blessings yesterday and it really touched me too, there is so much truth in it. Thanks for sharing. Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Danielle....thank you, thank you...I sit with tears and a happy heart because I KNOW, YES, I KNOW, that "The rain, the storms, the hardest nights, are your mercies in disguise" its just I need reminding of it all too often! Oh how our Fathers heart breaks because we fumble over and over trying to get stronger, yet what Joy and Peace we allow ourselves when we get it right! Never heard the song, have Youtube playing it. Thank you so much!!! Love you guys! Mom

    ReplyDelete