Tuesday, September 13, 2011

To Everything It's Time: Four Twenty-Six thru Four Thirty-Five

"There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:

a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace."
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

Sunday, September 4th

426) Shared experiences- I have made some wonderful friends since moving to New Mexico and I have been blessed to have family in the area as well. Both of these facts have made the difficulties of Army life more manageable. However up until just recently, I did not have much interaction with other military spouses. It was not for a lack of interest; circumstances had just hindered it. We have found some ways to work with and around those circumstances and I have had a chance to spend some time with a few Army wives from Drew's platoon. What a wonderful addition to my life! I have known this was missing and I am so grateful to have someone who understands because of their shared experiences.


Monday, September 5th

427) Rules and laws- Children need boundaries; likewise we all need rules and laws to follow. The rules and boundaries of a parent actively show us that we are loved and that our parents care about what happens to us. There is security and comfort in this knowledge- even if, as children, we think it ruins some of our fun. The same continues to remain true as adults. We may think it is in our best interest to have the freedom to do whatever we like and may feel that the phrase "to each his own" should reign supreme, but in the end, we do not find peace, joy and contentment in such an environment. We butt heads with other people following their own way and never seem satisfied. I am thankful for the boundaries and rules that my parents had for me as a child and I am eternally grateful for the loving boundaries and commandments of my Heavenly Father, who has placed me securely on a path of joy and peace despite all odds.


Tuesday, September 6th

428) A lesson on gossipNumerous years ago when I was still in my young teens, I felt convicted that I was a gossip and that needed to change. So at that time, I did a study on what the Bible says about the tongue, it's dangers and the need for wholesome speech. After that study, I worked very hard to tame my tongue and discard any gossip or unnecessary comments from my speech. Since I am such a talker, my tongue can still cause me some trouble and so I still go back to my notes from that study to remind myself of how I am called to speak. That Bible study and all that I learned from it has been absolutely invaluable to me and I know that it has spared me from many disagreements, estranged friendships and strife.


Wednesday, September 7th

429) Being a friend- I have listed more than one friend type who have blessed me. Sometimes I feel as though my friends have blessed me far more than I have blessed them. I always hate that sense of incongruity because I want to return that blessing. There really is a blessing not only in having friends, but in being a friend- someone a person can turn to in times of celebration, uncertainty, trouble or sadness. I am always blessed when I have a chance to really be a friend.


Thursday, September 8th

430) New house- While we have been content in our current residence, we have recently come to the conclusion that moving could have several benefits that outweighed the work involved with the move. Over a week ago, we put in an application for another house which would definitely offer us those additional benefits without stressing our budget. Today we were given the approval. This is truly a blessing but I feel we will be able to do more- with friends, our church and within our unit- because of this new house.


Friday, September 9th

 431) My playground injuries- Today I came away from a play date a sore and wounded hand. Why? I was showing a four year old how the monkey bars worked. Before I even tried, I knew I was probably going to feel it later. However it was a wonderful portal back to my days at recess, and a little reminder of my time playing with some wonderful kids.


Saturday, September 10th

432) A truly penitent "I'm sorry"- Today our daughter and I ran out for a quick errand. It should have been in and out and back home. However during the trip, our daughter decided she would have none of it. She was disobedient in the store (which was addressed) and threw another tantrum as I tried to place her in her car seat. This tantrum was also addressed, after which we headed towards home. Everything seemed to be going just as they do with every other tantrum, except that when I went to get her out of the car, she looked at me and said, "I'm sorry." Those words truly are amazing. They erased from my memory all the disobedience problems we had had that day. I know we still have a long road ahead of us with our little girl, but this was a wonderful moment of encouragement.


Sunday, September 11th 

433) Remembering- I may not be old enough to remember the day Pearl Harbor was attacked or the day President Kennedy was assassinated, but I remember September 11, 2001- the day a few handfuls of terrorists attacked our country- flying planes into the World Trade Center towers, the pentagon and aiming for another point in Washington DC.


I remember watching previous footage of the smoke rising from a side of the Pentagon and the first tower's collapse.
I remember watching live as the second tower came crashing down and hearing of the downed plane in the fields of Pennsylvania, and I remember what I felt.
I remember feeling fear and terror- wondering could there be more attacks to come, and if so, where?
I remember the sadness as the death toll rose.

I also remember our response, on that day and in the days to follow:

I remember the countless heroes who did not have to enter the Towers but did just that in the hopes of saving as many as possible.
I remember the overwhelming stories of valor and sacrifice.
I remember those heroes who gave their very all before the day was out.
I remember the men and women of United Airlines Flight 93, who learned what was occurring and sabotaged the terrorists' plans for that plane- likely saving many, many lives.
I remember the subsequent unity of our country.
I remember people coming together in friendship and neighborliness, and I remember a renewed sense of charity and generosity.
I remember American flags flying high all across our nation.
I remember the signs across the country proclaiming God bless America, and I remember the overflowing church pews on Sunday mornings as people searched for peace, understanding, and comfort after the terrible event.


Our response has slowly faded back to the norm as the demands of everyday life have weighed upon us, but I remember. We do not need another national disaster or act of terror to bring out those amazing qualities that we, as a country, do possess. Those qualities are in us just waiting to come out and could become our norm.

I remember.


Monday, September 12th

434) A set of fuzzy, warm pajamas- Last Christmas, Drew gave me a set of fleecy pajamas (pants and a long sleeved top). He did so because he knew I often get cold before everyone else and therefore need warmer clothing on or a blanket. Well cool nights have returned to New Mexico and while Drew and our daughter sleep better with a slightly cooler house, I freeze, especially from about our daughter's bedtime until I myself slip under the covers. It sure was wonderful to slip into my warmer pajamas for those last few hours. They definitely were not a necessity but oh, what a blessing!


Tuesday, September 13th

435) Cuddles- The last few weeks with our little girl have been fairly rough. As her allergies are ones that she should eventually grow out of, we have tried a couple of those foods to see how she handles them. So far, none have been successful and it has left us with a cranky, demanding and tired little girl. On top of that, she was a little sick over the weekend and is cutting her last 2-year molar. The crankiness, tiredness and subsequent disobedience have persisted. Despite all of that, I am blessed. The most obvious reason is her; no matter her mood or level of exhaustion, she still blesses me. On top of that though, I can count on the fact that our little girl will cuddle with me at least for a little while each morning after she first awakes and again before she lays down at bedtime. She is a little cuddlebug and I cherish those moments with her.


No comments:

Post a Comment