Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Seeing Anew: Four Thirty-Six thru Four Forty-Two

"This is why I speak to them in parables:

'Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.' 

In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: 

'You will be ever hearing but never understanding; 
you will be every seeing but never  perceiving. 
For this people's heart has become calloused; 
they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. 
Otherwise they might see with their eyes, 
hear with their ears,
 understand with their hearts 
and turn, and I would heal them.' 

But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear."

Matthew 13:13-17


Wednesday, September 14th

436) A new endeavor- Since our daughter has gotten a little bigger, I have struggled more with my role as a stay at home mom. Don't get me wrong. I am so thankful that I can stay home and I feel that is where I should be, if at all possible. However there is another part of me that wanted something more. Not a full time job, but something where I felt like I was contributing in another way, using gifts and talents that have only gotten rusty as a homemaker. A little over a week ago, I was approached by someone from our church about a part time job. The position was something I have some background with and a good foundation to help me as I learn the rest, and it was a fairly limited number of hours. For me, this position was an answer to my prayer and, from the sounds of it, the answer to other's as well. It offers me a chance to do something helpful outside the house, while still being home with our daughter during these formative years.


Thursday, September 15th

437) Two hands- It is incredible how easy it is to take things for granted when you've never known anything different. Tonight after burning four of my fingers while cooking (not smart on my part), I found out just how much I appreciate having two hands instead of just one.


Friday, September 16th

438) Moving companies- Packing for our move has begun, but unlike our last two moves, we have to do the packing on our own. For both of our PCS military moves, we have had the military handle our move which meant they contracted a moving company that came in and did everything- packing, loading, and later unloading. It really is something incredible to watch. They come in, get to work, and have a homey house packed and ready to move in a matter of hours. The moving company and employees have saved me a great deal of planning, stress, labor and worry.


Saturday, September 17th

439) Packing for yourself- Seems kind of ironic that I would list this as a blessing right after saying that moving companies are a blessing, but I have a reason. With a moving company, you have a general idea where items should be, but it seems like there was always one item that I needed and/or wanted from the very beginning that was always at the bottom of the very last box I unpacked. However when you pack for yourself, you know where everything is, making it much easier when it comes time to unpack. So really, both methods have their perks and are a blessing in their own way.


Sunday, September 18th

440) Always learning - You can hear something over and over again, but sometimes you just need to have the right teacher, the right mindset and an open ear all at the right time. I am thankful that learning need not end but can continue throughout this life because the more I learn about this world and its Creator, the better I become.


Monday, September 19th

441) Surrender- Recently I have been re-reading Crime and Punishment which deals at great length with the psychological toll a criminal act can have on an individual. Frequently in the story, the leading character, who committed murder, debates his desire to go straight to the police and confess. Then today I heard a song on the radio, "Here with Me" by Mercy Me


You're everywhere I go
I am not alone
You call me as your own
To know you and be known

You are holy
And I fall down on my knees

I can feel your presence here with me
Suddenly I'm lost within your beauty
Caught up in the wonder of your touch
Here in this moment I surrender to your love

I surrender to your grace
I surrender to the one who took my place

I can feel your presence here with me
Suddenly I'm lost within your beauty
Caught up in the wonder of your touch
Here in this moment I surrender to your love


We can surrender to the authorities; we can surrender to one's love; we can surrender to grace; we can surrender to the Lord and Creator of this world, and I am certain we can surrender to so much else. Generally though I don't think we, as humans, like to surrender to anything or anyone. In doing so, we are giving away some of our power or authority. Yet while each act of surrender takes courage and vulnerability, they also can give us great peace, joy and confidence. Surrendering some of my own rights and some of my independence has allowed me to have a better relationship with family members, a wonderful marriage to an amazing man and the humility to accept the love, grace and salvation of my Heavenly Father.


Tuesday, September 20th

442) The here and now- When I was in high school, I remember wishing that I had been born 100-200 years earlier. I used to dream of what it would be like to be a southern belle during the time of the plantations. I didn't agree with the use of slaves, but the rest of the lifestyle always seemed so romantic and genteel. I have also held highly romanticized views of the Elizabethan and Victorian ages and wondered what it would be like to be the daughter of a noble or even part of the court during those times. Then one day it hit me that if I had lived during any of those eras, I likely wouldn't have been a southern belle or a nobleman's daughter. Most people weren't and their lives were much less romantic and genteel. In addition, there is the reality that the lifestyle of anyone during those times included several hardships I can hardly imagine or fathom enduring: no running water or plumbing in the house, no heat but a fire that must be stoked throughout the night, inadequate and limited medical knowledge that led to earlier deaths- including many young children, the role of women, the same vices we face today. When I really take an honest look at those times- even in the finest of homes, I realize that while there is something romantic and alluring about the stories you read, I don't belong in that age. I was brought into this world at just the right time, and I am so thankful for God's providence and foresight regarding the matter.

1 comment:

  1. SURRENDER....Hmmmmmm...I like your thoughts! You hit it on the head with we do not really like to surrender because it gives up some of our control and authority....yet....we cannot have that peace within ourselves or around us unless we do surrender to HIM! Thank you for that reminder! Love you guys, and wish we could be there to lift a box, unpack, enjoy the excitement of something new! Talk later! Mom

    ReplyDelete