Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Long Overdue Part I - Four Forty-Three thru Four Fifty-Five

"I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God."
Ephesians 3:16-19


Wednesday, September 21st

443) Breaks- Getting everything ready for a move can be crazy and hectic. The list of things to do seems never ending. I am thankful for those breaks we took, whether to go to the Lobos/TTU football game, attend church or just sit down for dinner. Whatever it may have been, it was a wonderful rest and helped to re-energize and get us through this crazy time


Thursday, September 22nd

444) Unknowingly prepared- There are times in my life when I have realized that unrelated previous experiences have helped me better handle and cope with my current situations. Once again, I find myself in the same position, particularly as it applies to our military life. Things are still rough and often difficult but I can see how God has prepared me through other events so that I can have a better chance now.


Friday, September 23rd

445) Easily asleep- As with many little children, new places peak our daughter's interest and curiosity and make it difficult for her to lay down for a nap or bedtime.  With our upcoming move however, she was going to take a nap at our friend's house, so I could continue working on things for the move. I really didn't know if she would sleep, but I was hoping for at least some good rest. What a wonderful blessing when I found out she had gone right to sleep and took a good nap. (Not only that, but she did it again the next day!)


Saturday, September 24th

446) Help- What an incredible amount of help we received today as we moved nearly everything from our old house to our new house 30 minutes away. Without their assistance, there is no way we would be ready to move forward and settle in at our new location. To anyone and everyone who helped us today- whether moving items, doing some light clean up, or watching our little girl, thank you! You truly blessed us this day!


Sunday, September 25th

447) Finding something lost- On our wedding day, Drew and I exchanged gifts. They were nothing elaborate or drastically expensive, but they are still quite special to us. Three years ago, Drew misplaced the gift I had given him. He felt certain it would turn up, especially after not one but two moves. Yet as of yesterday, it was still MIA. Then today, I decided to sort through all of our bags (duffles, backpacks, luggage, etc) and wean down our growing collection. I checked each bag to make certain I had removed everything that I had packed in them for the move and in the process, I pulled out his missing watch. What a surprise and what a delight! I had resigned myself to the idea that it was gone and there it was in my hand.


Monday, September 26th

448) Magic Eraser- I have been doing a lot of cleaning as we finish our move and return our last rental to the owners and new tenants. My goal has been, and continues to be, that we leave the house as close to the way it was given to us- minus nail holes etc. Thanks to reliable cleaning products like Magic Erasers, I have found that it is more reasonable of a goal than ever before.


Tuesday, September 27th

449) Clean windows- As I finished cleaning our old house, I did a good cleaning of the windows. For whatever reason, that is one item I forget to clean regularly. Before I started cleaning they didn't appear too bad, but after cleaning one and comparing it to one right next to it, I realized how much we had missed out by not having truly clean windows. For me, this was a physical representation of a deeper lesson. In my life, small issues can build up with time and fog our lives, taking away clear perspective and direction and robbing us of all the beauty this life can hold. Just as the windows became fogged from a film of dirt and dust, so it is with my life. I am thankful for clean windows that allow me to enjoy the beauty of nature around me even on the stormiest or coldest of days and I am thankful for the deeper lesson they taught me today.


Wednesday, September 28th

450) No watch- Years ago, I consciously decided to stop wearing a watch because I realized that my life was more stressed and rushed as I was always worried about what time it was and what I needed to do next. For the past week or so, time has again taken a huge focus- for one reason or another, so today when I was able to again let go of the watch, it was a blessing. I appreciate being punctual and do not like being late, but even more than that, I appreciate and am thankful for the lessons I have learned about flexibility and leisure since I took off my watch.


Thursday, September 29th

451) A regular schedule- Our daughter has had a crazy schedule for several days due to the move. Naps were hit or miss and bedtime came when we were through with our tasks. This may not be a huge issue for some children, but it doesn't work well for our little girl. How nice it is to be back to a regular schedule and how wonderful to know that the disobedience and fussiness that has come about from a lack of sleep will soon pass.


Friday, September 30th

452) Drew's toothbrush- When you first read this, it may seem a little odd. I know Drew thought so when he saw that I had listed it as one of my blessings, but it is absolutely true. I love seeing Drew's toothbrush on the counter. Why? Because it means he is home or will be coming home after work. We keep our toothbrushes on the counter so when he is going to be away for days or weeks, that is usually one of the first things I notice that is different because of his absence- no toothbrush. Even our little girl notices. This last week of traveling, she commented on his missing toothbrush the first day he was away and she noticed when it was back in "its place" the morning after his return.


Saturday, October 1st

453) Family visiting- One of the hardest aspects for me that is a built-in part of military life is the distance from family. Family is so important to me. I love my family and I want to be able to share in their lives. I also want our daughter to have the same kind of relationships and love for them that I have. I try my best to visit as often as I can, but I find that it is getting harder and harder and I know as our daughter gets old enough for school, we will have even more to take into consideration. Therefore, I am so thankful when family can come out to visit us. I love sharing our home and lives here in New Mexico with them and I love the time we all have to spend together. I know it is not easy- neither the traveling, the expense or the changes in schedules- and that makes me even more grateful.


Sunday, October 2nd

454) Multiple generations- I love worshiping with people from various generations. There is so much that we can offer one another: wisdom, guidance, experience... flexibility, energy. We would be sadder and poorer people if we did not look to those who have gone before us and embrace those who will come behind us.


Monday, October 3rd

455) 365 days- I started this blog 365 days ago and as I thought back on where I was, how I felt and what bothered me then, I realized what a huge blessing these 365 days have been. I have a better relationship with Drew, a better relationship with our daughter, a better appreciation for my duties as mother, a better perspective about the irritations and struggles of this life, a greater appreciation for all that I have and greater hope for the days to come. None of this occurred because of me or my own doing. God is at the core of all this. He gave me the perseverance to continue with my writing when my head said stop or asked "why?". He has blessed me more than I have even begun to count and as I have focused more on him, he has changed my thoughts and heart.

I have shared in 365 days of intentionally counting my blessings and recognizing God's constant and continuing presence in my life and I have been blessed even more because of it. Thank you for your part. To each of you who told me how my thoughts had encouraged you and made you think and to each of you who encouraged me to keep going, God used you to work these changes in me.



No comments:

Post a Comment