Friday, March 4, 2011

Anticipation: Two Hundred Twelve thru Two Thirty-Four


"I waited patiently for the Lord to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the Lord. Oh, the joys of those who trust in the Lord, who have no confidence in the proud or in those who worship idols. O Lord my God, you have performed many wonders for us. Your plans for us are too numerous to list. You have no equal. If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds, I would never come to the end of them." Psalms 40:1-5 (New Living Translation)


Saturday, February 12th

212) Vacuum Cleaner- After watching my vacuum cleaner take all the dirt from the last three rooms and spit it out onto the most recent carpet and/or rug I was vacuuming week after week, I talked to Drew about purchasing a new vacuum cleaner. This time, I wanted to do the research, invest a little more than we had previously, and get one that would hopefully last us for several years. We made the purchase today and then returned home to vacuum all the carpets. What a great feeling to have clean floors again and how wonderful to have a husband who understands the importance of a decent vacuum cleaner to his slightly obsessive-compulsive, clean-freak wife.


Sunday, February 13th

213) Obedience-  This morning our sermon was on Submitting in Love- not only to our spouses, but also, and more importantly- for all else comes from this- submitting to God in and because of love. One of the verses that was mentioned and discussed was John 14:15-17a  “If you love me, keep my commands.  And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever—  the Spirit of truth." (quoting) "If you love me, keep my (Jesus') commands." What a simple, straight-forward statement and yet, what a life-long challenge it is for us. It is a call to obedience out of love, is it not? As I thought about that verse, I recalled the times I chose independence, ease, personal pleasure, financial comfort, the "more accepted"/secular route, etc. over obedience to God's commands and leading in my life. In the end, it never worked out well. However when I trusted God and was obedient to His commands, I have never been let down. I am not saying that my obedience equals a life of wealth, prosperity and ease because that is not something we were ever promised in this world, but I have always been blessed and found joy in the end results, even the hard times. And so I am not surprised that quickly following on the heels of that Scripture, I found myself humming the song, Trust and Obey.  How truly appropriate - the words themselves a blessing to those who believe in Christ and follow His commands!


When we walk with the Lord
in the light of his word,
what a glory he sheds on our way!
While we do his good will,
he abides with us still,
and with all who will trust and obey.

Trust and obey, for there's no other way
to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Not a burden we bear,
not a sorrow we share,
but our toil he doth richly repay;
not a grief or a loss,
not a frown or a cross,
but is blest if we trust and obey. 



 Trust and obey, for there's no other way
to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Then in fellowship sweet
we will sit at his feet,
or we'll walk by his side in the way;
what he says we will do,
where he sends we will go;
never fear, only trust and obey.



Trust and obey, for there's no other way
to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.
(Trust and Obey, John H Sammis)



Monday, February 14th

214) Our daughter's prayers- Recently our little girl has wanted to say her own prayers before her nap and bedtime. They are simple and pure. She thanks God for whatever comes to her mind, from Mommy and Daddy, to dipping foods, toys, laundry and baths. I love to hear her prayers, to hear what she thinks of to thank God for each afternoon and evening and at the same time, it is a reminder to me of just how abundant our blessings are.


Tuesday, February 15th

215) Sleep- Being well-rested is such a blessing. It's amazing how even just going on one hour less than your body requires/desires can affect your energy levels, brain functioning, and emotions. I personally know that sleep is essential to ward off migraines and keep me on my toes in order to keep up with our toddler, and yet I am also aware that there are those who struggle with sleep on a much more regular basis than I- people who suffer from sleep disorders such as sleep apnea and insomnia. I have known a few and I am only reminded all the more what a blessing each night of rest is in my life.


Wednesday, February 16th

216) Medicines- Ideally I prefer to deal with my migraines and other illnesses using as few medications as possible. However I am grateful that there are a multitude of medicinal options available to me, when I need them, so that I can function and be a good mother and wife and not just a sad sack.


Thursday, February 17th

217) Kissing owies- A month of two ago, I started to kiss our daughter's owies when she would fall or bump into something. She very quickly picked up on the gesture and has been returning the favor to me. I have struggled with headaches and migraines quite a bit since the new year began which means I have been telling our little girl that mommy's head has an owie. Without fail, she stops whatever she is doing, comes over and kisses my forehead. There is something so sweet, innocent and pure in her actions and you really can see that she has such faith within her that after that kiss my owie will be gone. It's beautiful to watch.


Friday, February 18th

218) An Assortment of Chicken Noodle Soups- For the past several days, I have been fighting off what I thought was just a head cold with a migraine thrown in just for fun. Last night things seemed to get a little worse and this morning I was down for the count. The smell of most foods has been turning my stomach and I have eaten very little except a few saltine crackers. This afternoon Drew came home with an assortment of chicken noodle soups, just for me. What a wonderful, sweet, loving gesture.


Saturday, February 19th

219) Breathing through my nose- I really don't think much about how I breath; it's just something I do. At night time though, breathing through my nose is wonderful. It keeps your lips from getting dried out and chapped as well as other uncomfortable side effects. Interesting how we don't think about these little functions until they are impaired, but I am thankful for all those little details that God planned out in advance that make our bodies work so well when they are healthy.


Sunday, February 20th

220) A four day weekend- I have been looking forward to this weekend as Drew had both Friday and Monday off for President's Day. It seems like he has been out of town for most of his holidays, so I was excited that he would be here for this one. Then not only was I sick this weekend, but our daughter ended up getting sick as well. Not much of a fun weekend for our family. However, I am very thankful that Drew had that four day weekend off. He has been so wonderful taking care of our daughter and me and allowing me to rest up so I can watch her when he returns to work. I have been so physically exhausted and unsteady from the illness that I cannot imagine how I would have made it through the past few days if he had not been here.


Monday, February 21st

221) Breathing, in general- Whatever I have had these past few days has settled into my lungs and I have had some crazy coughing fits. They have been severe enough that it has brought Drew running to check on me, and honestly a few have had me a little scared when my coughing has interrupted my breathing. I was always thankful when that next breath came. Breathing is such a natural, instinctual function for us, that the moment it becomes difficult, you are reminded just how fragile your life is and what a blessing every breath you take is.


Tuesday, February 22nd

222) Anticipation- When you are looking forward to an event of one kind or another, you become keenly aware of time. When I was younger, it seemed as though time just dragged by as I waited for the day, but as I have gotten older, I find that the anticipation of the event is exciting and helps the time pass. In fact, particularly when it comes to my family and when I will have the chance to visit with them again, I have become aware of the fact that even if the date is months off, just the knowledge and anticipation that I will be with them and see them again at such and such a time can make a world of difference.


Wednesday, February 23rd

223) A day long awaited- And with the culmination of the anticipation comes the excitement of the actual event.... my parents are in town!


Thursday, February 24th

224) A full house- I love having house guests. It really hasn't happened all that often, but I love it when they come, and tonight was especially fun. Not only were my parents with us, but my uncle, aunt and cousins came over. It is wonderful to watch my father with his brother and fun to watch our daughter toddle around after everyone. I love how laughter, joy and love filled the air.


Friday, February 25th


225) Christ is enough- As humans I think we like to know why and how, and I believe we are raised to expect there to always be an answer. Often there is and I do enjoy researching and seeking the answers. However when it comes to some questions- such as how did the universe get here- no matter what you believe, you will have to take it on faith. It is because of this reality that I am thankful that my faith is not dependent on my knowledge; it's not dependent on me at all. All I need to do is recognize that Christ is enough, has done all that is required and allow that to direct my life. In Christ, I place my faith, my hope, my life, my all.


Saturday, February 26th

226) A second car- As if owning one vehicle is not blessing enough, we own two. For many couples it seems like a necessity, and I am certain most of the time, we view it the same way. The reality is we are blessed to have the second car. It makes planning our days easier. Drew and I do not have to sit down the night before and map out his work schedule and my errand running for the next day. We don't have to worry about running into an emergency and finding yourself without a vehicle. And today, we were able to offer the use of the second car to my parents so they could spend a little extra time with my uncle and his family, instead of going home with us at our daughter's bedtime.


Sunday, February 27th

227) Tears- These may seem like an odd thing to call a blessing. Don't get me wrong; I have no desire to wallow in sadness. I don't enjoy the pain or the sorrow. However I also know that they are a part of this life and I am grateful that when they come there is a physical means of release for all the emotions that are building and welling up within me.


Monday, February 28th

228) Leftovers- I think leftovers get a bad rap, but I am looking forward to them this week. They are going to make my life so easy! Thanks to an abundance of leftovers after the family's visit, I don't even know if I will have to cook a dinner this week.


Tuesday, March 1st

Laundry-
It is not uncommon during prayer time for our daughter to thank God for laundry. She loves to help with the laundry. It seemed slightly odd to me at first, but then I thought about it some more and I realized just how blessed we are when it comes to laundry. I am not even sure I know where to begin. I suppose I can work backwards.

     229) I am thankful to own a washer and dryer, making laundry day so much easier and making those unexpected, immediate laundry needs so much less of a hassle.
     230) I am thankful for the invention of the electric/gas washer and dryer.  Can you imagine washing our clothes on a washing board or beating them on a rock? Just think of the time we save with our machines, whether personally owned or at a laundromat.
     231) I am thankful that we have clothes to wash. Not only has the Lord provided for our needs in this area, we have an abundance.


Wednesday, March 2nd

232) My Alma Mater- I was looking through some photos from Johnson Bible College's 2011 Homecoming and I was reminded of just how thankful I am for all that I learned while I was in school there. It has been nearly six years since I graduated from Johnson, and I would be lying if I said that I remembered all the little details I had learned nor have I ever worked in a field directly related to either of the majors I studied while at Johnson. However, the time, money and effort was well worth it. I met so many wonderful, amazing people while I was there- students, faculty and staff- and learned many important life lessons as well as so many important broader lessons from my classes that have carried me through my various jobs and my every day life. I am so grateful that I was led to Johnson ten years ago when I graduated high school, and I am thankful for all of those who have helped to see that she has continued on, steady and true to her calling, for all these years.


Thursday, March 3rd

233) Giving second chances- I believe I have already mentioned that I am thankful for the second, third and fourth chances I have been given, but I also am thankful for those times I chose to give a second chance to someone else. The blessings go both ways.


Friday, March 4th

234) A good listener- Drew is a good listener. I know that I can go to him if I need to vent, sort through my thoughts and feelings or figure out a dilemma, and typically he will listen first. I know some men like to dive right in and fix things when you come to them with a situation, but as we women know, that isn't always what we are looking for. I am very grateful that Drew is such a wonderful listener, and yet, is also so capable at moving into action when the situation calls for it.

2 comments:

  1. David and Laura GrinerMarch 5, 2011 at 6:42 AM

    Oh yes, Blessings....thank you Lord! Thanks Danielle for sharing! We love you guys and so wish we were closer to share in your lives, but are so thankful for the opportunity to be with you a few short days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful to read your blessings, Danielle! Thanks for sharing and stretching our minds to embrace your blessings and make them ours as well. Sorry to hear of the ills and headaches. Pray this is a good day!! Love to you all!!

    ReplyDelete