Monday, March 14, 2011

Good Foundations: Two Thirty-Five Through Two Forty-Five

"What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all -- how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died-- more than that, who was raised to life-- is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written:
"For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered."
 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." 
Romans 8: 31-39


Saturday, March 5th

235) Fear diminished- Most girls dream about their wedding and who they will marry, or so it seems. I never had too many opinions about my wedding until I actually had to plan it, but growing up, I did have one very particular opinion about the man I was going to marry (besides sharing my beliefs). I had no desire to marry a man in uniform (ie. police officer, firefighter, military), and my reasoning was very simple. I didn't want the worry and fears that went along with being the spouse of those brave men. Obviously my plans changed. However this is only because I realized that fears could not and should not dictate my life, and with the Lord's help, they generally don't. "Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand." Isaiah 41:10 This applies to so much more than just Army life. God has strengthened me, supported me and helped me to step out on faith, without fear, so many times before, and I am certain that without Him I wouldn't have this wonderful, beautiful, fantastic life for which I am so grateful today- because I would have been too immobilized with fear somewhere along the way.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
Your perfect love is casting out fear
And even when I'm caught in the middle of the storms of this life
I won't turn back
I know you are near

And I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
A glorious light beyond all compare
And there will be an end to these troubles
But until that day comes
We'll live to know You here on the earth



And I will fear no evil
For my God is with me
And if my God is with me
Whom then shall I fear?
Whom then shall I fear?

Oh no, You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me
(You Never Let Go- Matt Redman)



Sunday, March 6th

236) Choosing thankfulness- I could look at less than 72 hours as just a tease, reminding me of what I want more of but can't have at the moment, or I can be thankful for the time we have been given. Today I chose gratitude. It wasn't my first response and I must admit, it wasn't an easy choice. However I decided to do what I could with what I have been given instead of mourning something I cannot control or change. Even after two hundred and thirty-five blessings counted, gratitude does not always come naturally, but we always have the choice.


Monday, March 7th

237) Honesty with yourself- Sometimes you just have to admit your weaknesses and limitations, and sometimes the person who needs to hear them the most is yourself. Instead of walking away feeling defeated, I have always felt freer and relieved. Maybe I just expect too much from myself; I don't know, but a good dose of honesty never hurts.


Tuesday, March 8th


238) Doing the normal tasks- On days when you just have no desire to get out of bed but only want to pull the cover over your head and ignore what the day holds for you until tomorrow or the next day or even the next week (depending on the situation), the best thing you can do is get up and do the most basic and regular of your daily tasks. Don't aim for the stars. Take a shower; get dressed; go to the grocery store; dust; clean your floors; wash your dishes; take out the trash. It's amazing how a little of the ordinary can really help remind you that there is so much more out there, so much that you are capable of handling. "The man with the two talents also came. 'Master,' he said, 'you have entrusted me with two talents; see, I have gained two more.' His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!" Matthew 25:22-23 Perhaps I am taking this a little out of context (I hope not), but I cannot help but think that there is nothing more basic that we have been entrusted with than the blessings of our family and home. If we are faithful in caring for those, perhaps we will be entrusted with even more for His kingdom, and that is a blessing indeed.


Wednesday, March 9th

239) She talks- ....and talks.... and talks..... and talks.... and talks..... and talks....... And for those of you who knew me as a toddler (and even now), you are probably thinking, "sounds like she takes after her mother." Yes, I know; our daughter takes after me. There are times, when she decides to choose one word or phrase and repeat it over and over for minutes on end, when I think I might go crazy, but I just remind myself how thankful I am that she is able to communicate with us so well already. This ability is something that I remember looking forward to when she was smaller and just cried and screamed when she needed or wanted something, and I am not about to be upset now that I got what I wished for. 


Thursday, March 10th

240) Regular Communication- Having good communication within a relationship is vital; so is regular communication. Over the years that I have known Drew, we have spent a fair share of time apart, both while we were dating and since we have been married. During those times of separation, we have been able to communicate in different ways to varying degrees. Take for instance the communication we had while he completed his Basics training for National Guard; his communication was almost completely restricted to written letters that I received about once every week. Whatever the means and regularity (a letter once a week, a phone call every night or every 3-4 nights), that regular contact and communication makes so much difference. Even if we only speak on the phone for five minutes and our conversation comprises little more than "Hi. How are you doing? Was it a good day? Anything interesting you can tell me about?" It's the most wonderful and stabilizing part of my week.


Friday, March 11th

241) Our Child's Understanding- When the full scope of our daughter's food allergies became clear, Drew and I were concerned about how she would deal with this if they lasted until she started going to parties or even school. There is no way she can eat the typical foods that most children eat or could share food at lunchtime, and we wondered how that might affect her or how many times she would come home with severe stomach and digestive problems because she decided to ignore or didn't realize there was something she shouldn't eat. In the end, we realized we could not shield her from those situations; even at home, it would be good for her to see that she does not always get to eat the same food as us, but the food she eats is yummy! So we started to explain that some food was her food and some food was Mommy/Daddy food and that Mommy/Daddy food would give her a bad owie in her belly. In the last week, she has started saying "owie" whenever I am eating, which just throws me for a loop because she hasn't fallen or done anything to get hurt. When she realizes I don't understand, she points to my food and says "owie eat," and I realized she is telling me that she cannot eat my food because it will give her an owie. Her allergies may not be life-threatening but knowing that she understands that concept so clearly that she can tell me without any prompting is so exciting and an incredible blessing to this mother.


Saturday, March 12th

242) Foundation on the Rock- I heard some news today, that if it were to come to fruition, could have some unpleasant affects on our family, and initially it shook me. I was upset at the thought of "what if?". Shortly thereafter though, I was reminded that our God is still in control, even if all that I heard and more does occur- God reigns. If I can trust and rely on that and I base everything on that foundation, I need not be shaken when I come upon scary, intimidating or disheartening circumstances (and they do seem to abound these days).  "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." Matthew 7:24-27


Sunday, March 13th

243) Daylight Savings- Usually the time change in the spring is the one I like the least, but I have been counting down the days this year. I wasn't disappointed when today came either. Our daughter wakes with the first early light, which means she is up before the true sunrise. She doesn't wake us up right away, for which I have been very thankful, but it means that over the past few weeks she has gotten very grumpy much earlier than normal and no amount of adjustments have corrected the situation properly. Today all was quiet until after 7 am. It was beautiful. Not only did she sleep later, but I could see the effects in her attitude all morning. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

244) A dark room- We have used a dark room as a tool when teaching our daughter how to sit still and be quiet during church services. However when we first started attending our church here in Albuquerque, I used the cry room that was provided; I quickly realized that didn't have the same effect and her training went backwards. Then we had to find a room that was (1) dark enough to make our daughter realize it was no fun to leave service and (2) not in use for children's worship during service. We finally located one a month or so ago, and I can tell you, the results have been nearly instantaneous. What a blessing!


Monday, March 14th

245) Our daughter's response to my headaches- When I was pregnant, one of my greatest worries was how would I handle taking proper care of an infant or a toddler and cope with the migraines that seem to plague me. Recently, our daughter has begun to answer the question for me in her own incredible way. I can tell her that mommy doesn't feel well and has an owie in her head, and she has responded so well. Her temperament, sweetness and comprehension have made the whole situation easier; something I would never have expected to have had with a child who is not even two yet.

1 comment:

  1. Honesty with oneself...I like this one...how often do we really want to be honest with ourself about the "not so good" things in our life. Good reminders of so many blessings we have. Love you!

    ReplyDelete