Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Blessings Along the Way Part II- Seventeen through Twenty

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." I Thessalonians 4: 16-18


Monday, October 11th

17) Unexpected Federal Holidays- Sunday afternoon we drove from College Station down to Corpus Christi so we could spend the week with Drew's Dad and family. We knew when we planned the trip that his Dad and Stepmom would have to work and his brother would have school, but we still wanted to come as it had been so long since we had last seen them. Neither of us remembered that the 11th was Columbus Day and as such was a Federal holiday. Drew's Dad had Monday off, therefore, but it was something we did not realize until we were in Corpus. What a wonderful and exciting surprise!

18) Considerate Supervisors- Another concern I had considered was how much we might actually see Drew's Stepmom, since her typical work schedule can keep her quite busy most days of the regular work week. So when she came home earlier than expected on Monday and informed us that her supervisor for her evening position had heard we were in town and told her to stay home for the week, I was excited once again. She still taught during the day, but each evening we all had some time together. I know it had a lasting impression. Before the week was out, our daughter knew her "Oma" and "Opa" and upon our return home, she was searching for them at the breakfast table. While I'm sad that couldn't be there with us anymore, I am grateful that she was able to have that kind of time with each of them.

Tuesday, October 12th

19) Ability to visit- I am definitely a person who loves any and every moment I can spend with my family and friends and with miles separating us from so many of them these days, I am so very grateful that we have the ability- both physically and financially- to make these kind of road trips to visit our friends and family. Besides just enjoying the time with these dear and wonderful individuals, I am so thankful that our daughter has the opportunity to slowly get to know them as well. Time with loved ones is a precious commodity and I pray that I never take it lightly.

20) Summer of low humidity- Ha! This may seem ironic after listing humidity as a blessing just a few entries back, but while I recognize there are blessings inherent within humidity, I am still not a fan of an 80+ degree day with high humidity. That kind of weather and I just don't get along. And as much as I hate to admit it, it brings out the worst in me. We took our daughter to a park along the Gulf Coast this afternoon while Drew's parents were still at work. I have to admit that I had forgotten about Texas coastal weather in the glory of the Albuquerque fall. *sigh* And in the hour or so that we were outside while our daughter eagerly explored the playground, I thought back to this past summer and  realized, yes, it had been hot, but not at all oppressive. Right then and there, my appreciation for this past summer rose exceedingly high- even those afternoons sitting in our house when it was well above 80 degrees inside since we do not have an air conditioner but a swamp cooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment