Thursday, October 21, 2010

Blessings Along the Way Part III - Twenty One through Thirty

"Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, who has loved us and given us eternal comfort and good hope by grace, comfort and strengthen your hearts in every good work and word." 2 Thessalonians 2: 16


Wednesday, October 13th

21)  Communication between Drew and I- I have always felt that Drew and I have benefited from the long distance relationship we had during the early stages of our dating relationship. Especially due to the nature of the Corps of Cadets, our communication skills were greatly honed. That year of long distance, which relied so heavily on communication and clarification, has become a wonderful foundation for us to this day as we deal with different issues that arise in our relationship. Whether personal or interpersonal, I have such great trust in the fact that I can go to Drew to tell him what I am thinking and feeling and he will hear me. Even if my initial delivery is done poorly, I trust that we will get to the true crux of the matter quickly and, generally, without much drama.

22) Chilean Miners Rescue- I know this was all over the news, but I must say that I was captivated and loved watching as each and every miner was pulled out of the tube that brought them out of the mine. There is something so joyous and almost intoxicating about the entire story- from the initial uncertainty to the first rescue date projections to the actual rescue. Liberation.... freedom. That is really what they were being given, isn't it? Another chance after many had counted them as lost. Something so many of us take for granted and yet something so many of us depend upon so deeply- not only as Americans but also as Christians.


Thursday, October 14th

23) Drew and My Same Parenting Style- From all that I have heard, differing opinions between spouses concerning how to raise or parent a child can be a HUGE issue shortly after the birth of your first child, and for some, it can last a long time if the issue is not resolved. I am so very thankful that Drew and I have, thus far, really seemed to agree with how we wish to raise our daughter, both when it comes to values and morals as well as when it comes to discipline. Although this is a topic you can discuss in premarital counseling or when you are engaged or just married, you never truly know if you will both still feel that way once you actually have a little life as your responsibility.

24) Watching the sunset over the Gulf of Mexico- For dinner tonight, we went to a fresh seafood restaurant situated on the Gulf of Mexico. Yum! It was a lovely evening with our family that was made all the more lovely by the beautiful sunset over the water. Isn't it amazing how something so powerful, strong and blinding can slip so quickly, quietly and softly behind the horizon?


Friday, October 15th

25) Our daughter's strong will- Perhaps this will surprise some to read or perhaps you are thinking I will come to change my mind about this in the upcoming months as she becomes a "Terrible Two." However, I have thought about this for a while and although I know it may be a challenge now, I hope and pray that in the end, her strong will serves her well as she grows into a young woman. I believe a strong will can be guided into determination and perseverance and if Drew and I are able and faithful, we hope to help teach our daughter how to temper her will through prayer and how to mold it to the will of our Lord's. A strong will in the hand of our Lord's would be a mighty and awesome tool and would serve both Him and her well. So though it may be a challenge for us now, it would be well worth the time, effort and trouble in the end. That is our prayer.

26) Opportunity to surprise Drew's brother at college- Since moving away from home nearly ten years ago, I have often felt as though I have missed out on several of the smaller events in the lives of my younger siblings. I have made it for all of the big events (graduations, etc.) but haven't had the chance to do all of the things I would love to have done with them had we lived closer together. Drew has not had many such opportunities with his younger brother either, so when we had the opportunity to surprise his brother and pick him up at his campus dorm for the weekend, I was excited. His brother would have come home for the weekend either way, but I am glad we were able to drive over to pick him up, see where he is going to school and spend just a little extra time with him.


Saturday, October 16th

27) Overlooked blunders- Some stories just need not be rehashed and the one tied to this blessing is one such story. Let's just say, I made an "uh oh" last night. (Can you tell I spend most of my time with a toddler these days?) Initially I was blind to my folly and just plowed ahead. It didn't take me long though and I realized what I had done and then I felt horrible. Those around me, though, had for the most part covered over my blunder and in short time, it was as though it had not happened. While some could have held it against me, I could quickly tell all was forgotten and forgiven. I am so grateful!

28) Knowing we will see each other again soon, Lord willing- We are packing our bags to head back for New Mexico. This trip has gone so quickly. The one thought that always makes the goodbyes easier for me is knowing when we plan to see each other again and knowing it isn't too far into the future. I am so thankful that is the case this time.


Sunday, October 17th

29) Extra hands at road stops- During our daughter's first year of life, we traveled nearly 13,000 miles on the road, and a good portion of those miles were done by just the two of us. I am not certain if you have ever had to make a long distance road trip with an infant before but it's quite a juggling act. I had never really thought about it until the first time I was in the situation, and then there I was. I was in the restroom with a purse, a diaper bag, a fussy infant with a messy diaper, a full bladder, jeans cinched with a belt, and only two hands. It was quite a dilemma. Not only do extra hands help resolve the whole restroom dilemma, but they also make mealtime and every other road stop situation go smoother and quicker. To everyone who has ever traveled with me and our daughter, thank you for your helping hands. I really appreciated them.

30) Your own bed- As much as I have loved spending time with all of our friends in College Station and our family in Corpus Christi, there is still something about being at home sleeping in your own bed. Even if you fall asleep before your head hits your pillow, you will sleep more soundly because it is your own. I enjoyed every moment we have visiting with our friends and family in Texas these past ten days and pray they all know how precious they are to us and, now, I do believe my own bed is calling to me. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment