Monday, October 4, 2010

Counting My Blessings: One

 "I waited patiently for the Lord; And HE inclined to me and heard my cry. He brought me up out of the miry clay, and HE set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm. HE put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God; ...

Many, O Lord my God, are the wonders which You have done, and Your thoughts toward us; There is none to compare with You. If I would declare and speak of them, They would be too numerous to count."  Psalms 40:1-3,5 (New American Standard)


Perhaps the wonders and blessings of our Lord are far too numerous to count completely but as I sit here today and think back over the past few weeks and then back over this weekend, I would suggest it is better to count what we can, proclaim them to the mountains for all to hear, than to worry that we might miss a few (and as is more than likely, a few hundred or even a few thousand). Maybe you already knew this and I am just coming to the party late and if so, that's fine too. It won't be the first time I've had to admit that I'm a bit of a perfectionist and hate to start something if I can't finish it perfectly, so I'm certain it doesn't come as a surprise to see me struggle to admit I have hesitated to want to make a list of my blessings for a fear I would miss a few.

So what brings me to that point now?

It has been a small thing here, a small thing there and perhaps something a little bit bigger thrown in as well. But over the past few months I have really begun to feel burdened by the little (and sometimes, not so little) troubles of my every day life. I know deep down they shouldn't be a problem and when I look around, I can see and realize there are so many bigger problems out there, but I cannot seem to stop the flow of emotions that I feel- the frustration, loneliness and worry. Sad, isn't it? Because I don't remember God saying anything about the Spirit-filled life being
any of those, which means I can only come to one conclusion- I haven't been doing a very good job lately. So in the end, I have allowed myself to be weighed down by the little troubles of life. By themselves no one of the troubles would probably have been too daunting, but together, they have done the trick. I have seen the effects in my thoughts, my attitude and my energy level. I knew something had to change, but wasn't quite certain where to start. And that brings me to this weekend...

Hot Air Balloons. It may seem odd but God reminded me through hot air balloons and my wonderful husband that I have much for which I should be thankful. We had some transportation difficulties that led to a change in plans yesterday morning, but in the end we watched the Balloon Fiesta's mass ascension from our roof top. It was still a beautiful sight and something I will remember, maybe even moreso because of the location. In fact, I would love to do it again as our daughter gets older, so she can remember it for herself. So out of what seemed a disappointing change of events, I had a chance to appreciate the optimism and make-the-best-of-it attitude of my wonderful husband and the chance to possibly start a new family tradition. Sounds like little blessings to me.

This morning really confirmed things for me though. Our daughter's nap time has shifted and now falls at the same time as the worship service at church which means we are having some difficulties getting her to sit quietly in service once again. She really wants to fight the sleep- especially today as something woke her up earlier than usual this morning and she didn't go back to sleep. Needless to say, she was incredibly tired and that made for a rough service. From there it just seemed to get harder. I had to step out of the service with her and before I went back in, I took a moment just outside the door to compose myself and decide whether to stand in the back, sit down, go to the cry room, etc. In that time, a couple came over and greeted us. I can't explain it, but that short conversation we had before going back into service was just what I needed to help encourage me as I work to teach our daughter how to sit quietly in a worship service. The couple probably has no idea the struggles I was having or the effect those moments had on me, but their kindness was deeply felt. It was a blessing, unlooked for and greatly appreciated.

On the drive home, I thought about that moment, how it had changed the whole dynamic of the morning for me and I realized, it had changed my whole attitude. Admitting to myself that I had been blessed by one act of kindness, as small as it may seem, had made such a change in my thinking that I did not want to go back. In fact, it is because I do not wish to go back that I am starting this blog. I may not be able to recognize every blessing God grants me, but I know that the more I do, the better. I am not saying that I expect my life will be easier or happier or have less problems if I recognize His divine hand in my life, but I know that those times in my life when I have lived acknowledging His power and presence were the times when I had the most peace, joy and contentment despite whatever circumstances may come my way. That's what I want.

 Just like the song:

When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.

So, amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged, God is over all,
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey's end.

Count your blessings, name them one by one;
Count your blessings, see what God has done;
Count your blessings, name them one by one;
Count your many blessings, see what God has done.

And just to get us started:

1) The way our darling daughter says "hi" whenever I walk into the room. (You have to hear how she says the word to really appreciate the beauty of that word.)

No comments:

Post a Comment