Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Homecoming- Thirty-One through Thirty-Eight

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.
 
Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14: 1-6


Monday, October, 18th

HOME-
31) Both our house in Albuquerque- There is something comforting and reassuring about being in your own home. Of course, everyone in my family is quite a home body so that may play a role, but as much as we love seeing our family and friends, there comes a time when we feel it is time to return home. Coming home returns us to our normal routines- some enjoyable, others not as much, and for Naomi, it brings a return of the familiar and a better knowledge of right and wrong (what she can and cannot play with- not that she always obeys even at home).

32) And our Heavenly home- This is one area where Drew has always truly led me and just astounded me. If you can ever really get him to speak on this topic (in a natural setting), the one thing you would take from the conversation is how strongly he knows that this world is not his home, and I don't mean know in the cognitive sense only. I think most of us know it cognitively, but it can be hard to live it from the heart. Drew lives it and helps me to live it more and more with each passing day, and living that way is such a blessing! Compared to others, my troubles and trials here on earth are minor, but as I struggle to make it through, I thank the Lord above that there will come day, "Some glad morning when this life is o'er, I'll fly away. To a home on God's celestial shore, I'll fly away."

 "All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them." Hebrews 11:13-16

And what a city He is preparing for us! Not even considering the physical description, the thought is impressive and awe-inspiring.

"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

 He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."
 
 He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son."" Revelation 21:1-7


Tuesday, October 19th

33) Opposing/contrasting opinions, views, and beliefs- From this you may come to think that I like a good debate or that I enjoy an argument. You would actually be wrong on both accounts. I am fairly non-confrontational, and by fairly, I mean highly- in most cases. However, I do appreciate healthy discussions between adults where views can be calmly discussed and hopefully differing sides can be heard. Although neither side may be influenced to change their opinion or belief, I have found that such discussions have had profound impacts on my own beliefs and practices. These talks have required me to really know my position on a given topic, and if I don't know my position, they have encouraged me to research it and study until I know what I think on a matter. They offer me a chance to consider other views so that I can come to a decision based on facts, not ignorance. I have had these conversations regarding my faith, political views, and parenting style, just to name a few and found that all have grown for my willingness to communicate, listen and think on the issues.

34) Encouragement- So today, I was actually questioning myself about a few items, causing some doubts within myself and do you know what I received? Not one, but two pieces of encouragement on just the right topic from ladies in very different parts of the country. It was just what I needed.


Wednesday, October 20th

35) Our daughter's extra cuddliness- As she gets a little bit older, she is getting a little more assertive, and with that, I feel like we are a little more at odds. It's just the beginning, of that I am sure. She is just testing her little wings for the first time and I know as she gets older, she is going to try them out more and more and will probably try harder, but right now with this first testing, it can be so hard to feel  she is not happy with her Mommy. I don't take it personally and am not phased by it. I knew the day would come, but still, it does add a new dimension to my daily routine and it's not a pleasant one. So when our daughter has wanted to cuddle each morning under a blanket with Mommy for a good half an hour and then has often wanted to spend some quality Mommy time cuddling after her nap, I was ecstatic! It helped to balance out the frustrations and stress I had been feeling lately. (On a side note though- it did come at a price, I later found out. It appears it was related to a  belly ache from a food intolerance. Poor baby.)

36) Leisurely Showers- So as any new mother can tell you, showers can become a precious commodity when there is a new baby in the house. As our daughter got bigger, I thought this would get better, and while taking a shower has at least become a regular event, I don't think I can call them very relaxing most of the time. They are all purpose and function these days. In and out! It's all about the shortest amount of time that I can get myself ready in the mornings. This fact saddens me a little at times, as I once found a more leisurely shower to be so relaxing and soothing, especially in the cooler months. I am certain my family could attest to that fact. So as I think back on those more relaxing showers, I appreciate them more and more and promise myself not to take them for granted- even if they don't really last much longer than the ones I take right now.

So beware. If I ever come for a visit and you offer to watch our daughter while I take a shower, I just might stay in there until the water runs cold. (Just joking Mom and Dad. I'll share the water!)


Thursday, October 21st

37) Milk Alternatives- No dairy, now no soy. Our daughter's milk options continue to narrow. We are just thankful that we live in an age when there are so many alternate options readily available. Now to find the best, most healthy one for her.

38) Dip-able foods- This right here has made meal time a breeze! If it can be dipped, it is our daughter's new favorite food, and as we have found, nearly anything can be dipped, even if it seems disgusting to us. (Not that we initially encouraged her to dip that item.) The latest concoction of our daughter's- green grapes dipped into honey mustard dressing. Doesn't that sound delicious?

1 comment: